June 19th, 2013
Corrosion is something that no homeowner wants to deal with. Corrosion occurs naturally and it can be a very serious problem. It can do huge damage to your home’s plumbing system, and you will need a professional plumber to diagnosis and repair your pipes. Here at Larry and Sons, we offer fast and reliable plumbing services and we can help you with any sort of repair. We wanted to put together a quick explanation of the common causes of corrosion and how you can prevent it.
Corrosion can occur at pipe joints where two different metals connect. In older homes, we often see copper pipes and steel pipes connected. In this case, the steel will usually start to corrode as electrons from the copper enter it.
But corrosion can also occur between your pipes and the soil and between your pipes and the water passing through it. This is one reason why many homes are piped with plastic or PVC. These types of materials are highly resistant to corrosion and tend to last a very long time.
If your pipes start to corrode it can cause big problems for your home. Not only will you have water leaks, but you may also experience a drop in water pressure. If your pipes are corroding you will undoubtedly need a professional plumber to examine the problem. Your plumber may be able to replace the corroded section of pipe. In extreme cases, they may have to repipe the entire house.
If you need a plumber in Chambersburg, PA, make sure that you call the plumbing experts at Larry & Sons.
June 12th, 2013
When you start to have problems with your plumbing system, it can be frustrating and inconvenient. Many homeowners decide that attempting the project on their own might save them time and money. However, there are three very good reasons why calling a professional Martinsburg, WV plumber is usually a good idea. A Larry & Sons, we have years of experience working with all different kinds of plumbing issues. We thought it would be helpful if we put together a few of the reasons why it is best to hire a licensed pumber for repairs.
Why Call A Martinsburg, WV Plumber
You use your plumbing system every single day for dishes, laundry, showers, and so much more. A professional plumber can make sure that any problem you have is fixed correctly so you don’t have the same problems crop up again and again.
Speed is another reason to call for plumber. With all the years of experience that plumbers have, they can usually get the job done very quickly. You don’t want to have to wait a long time for your new kitchen drain to be installed or the toilet to be fixed. Here at Larry & Sons, we try to get in and out as fast as possible.
Finally, when you call a Martinsburg, WV plumber to repair your drains or to remove a clog, they can often find developing problems while they’re working. This is an often-overlooked benefit to having a professional plumber perform any work on your plumbing system. Their expertise and experience give them insight into problems that could be developing that a non-professional wouldn’t be able to see.
When you need a Martinsburg, WV plumber, call Larry & Sons. We are dedicated to the quality of work that we do and to the level of customers support that we provide.
June 3rd, 2013
As one of the most frequented and used parts of the home, your kitchen is often the focal point of family gatherings, entertaining guests, and catching up with friends. Whether you need new cabinets and appliances, or want to upgrade the comfort of your home in general, a kitchen remodeling project is a wonderful way to breathe new life into a home. Considering the scale of renovation, it’s no wonder that you probably have many questions about the process and what it entails. Most importantly, take time to choose the right contractor for the job. For comprehensive Frederick, MD plumbing and kitchen remodeling services, call Larry & Sons today!
Here are some FAQs related to kitchen remodeling.
- What can I do to contribute to a successful kitchen remodeling? Many of our customers want to know what they can to expedite the process or make it easier. You can start by having fun with some design ideas. If you’re curious, you can look at some interior home magazines or books at your local bookstore. There’s also no shortage of information online. We can also supply you with some brochures. You need a working budget for the project. While this may be adjusted after consultation with your contractor, it’s good to know upfront what your resources are, and this may help you to make decisions about remodeling later on.
- What’s involved in the process? This varies from job to job, but there is the consultation, design and selection phase, during which we figure out exactly what you want and how you want your new kitchen to look. The installation phase itself comprises the bulk of the project. The time depends entirely on the unique circumstances of each job.
- What can I change about my kitchen? Cabinets, appliances, and plumbing fixtures are all frequently changed during kitchen remodeling, although you may choose to change only some plumbed appliances and fixtures, or just cabinetry; it all depends on what you want.
We hope this brief list of FAQs helps you. But it’s best to get in touch with us directly so that we can address any questions you may have. For Frederick, MD plumbing and quality, thorough kitchen remodeling services, call Larry & Sons today!
May 29th, 2013
Here at Larry & Sons Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning in Hagerstown Maryland we want to help you get the most for your money while providing highly efficient heating and air conditioning systems to replace some of the older, inefficient models. As part of this effort we are offering not one but TWO great deals when you upgrade your systems.
First, take advantage of our great 0% financing for 12 months* and second, get some great rebates that can total up to $1,350 which includes the $500 Federal Tax Credit. Please don’t hesitate, this offer is only available until August 31st, 2013.
Call us today to set up an appointment for your FREE home energy survey and one of our Indoor Environmental Specialists will come to your home and determine which system fits in your living situation.
We look forward to providing our great customers from the Maryland area with some great savings and best of all a new and more efficient Heating and Air Conditioning system that will save you money for years to come.
*Not valid with other offers or discounts. Some restrictions apply. See Dealer for specific details that apply. Amount of rebate varies depending on equipment purchased. Ask for complete details. Offer expires 8-31-2013. Federal Tax credit of up to $500 expires 12-31-2013.
May 27th, 2013
Every year on the final Monday of May, citizens of America come together to honor those who have served our country. Formerly known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day came to prominence after the American Civil War to commemorate the fallen soldiers on either side. Although its origins are somewhat ambiguous, it has always been about bringing people together to recognize our country’s military personnel and history. We want to take this opportunity to thank all the men and women who have served our county.
Memorial Day also marks the beginning of summer. We hope that you have a wonderful day off, and that it is a great start to your summer!
May 21st, 2013
Is your AC old? Does it require frequent repairs? Are you tired of high energy bills and think you can do better? There are numerous systems on the market today if you’re considering installing a new air conditioning system in your home, and it can be difficult to know which ones are right for you. Call Larry & Sons today for excellent consultation and AC installation services in Frederick, MD.
- Old age and frequent repairs: If your AC is old, then you should at least be considering the possibility of replacement. After all, you don’t necessarily want to wait until it has completely broken down to make your decision. But if it’s old and also requires frequent repairs, you should probably consider replacing it with a new model, whose performance would give you the comfort and confidence you deserve this cooling season.
- Energy efficiency: Another consideration relates to energy efficiency. This is the ratio between the electrical energy input and the total cooling output. You need to make sure that the operation of your AC is efficient or else you will simply be paying too much to keep your home cool. The energy efficiency of today’s central air, ductless and geothermal heat pumps is considerably higher than those systems of even just 10 years ago.
- Ducts, ductless, or geothermal? Which brings us to the next question: what type of system do you want? If you already have ducts installed in your home, then you may want to consider a forced air distribution system like central air. But if you’re looking for something that doesn’t use ducts, then a ductless mini split is a great way to improve your energy efficiency. Geothermal technology is also an innovative way to cool and heat your home.
Call Larry & Sons today for more information and for Frederick, MD air conditioning services.
May 17th, 2013
Hagerstown Magazine just released their ballots for the 2013 HotList and we are calling on our loyal customers to submit their vote for Larry & Sons Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning. Each year Hagerstown Magazine asks you for your favorite businesses in the area to create the HotList, please take a moment to follow the link below and help us win!
Hagerstown Magazine HotList 2013
Here at Larry & Sons we love our community and serving you to the best of our ability. Open since 1960, we have served Hagerstown and the surrounding area with a smile and the professionalism you deserve.
The deadline for ballots is June 1st, 2013, we look forward to hearing from you.
May 16th, 2013
Now that we’ve entered the cooling season in Frederick, MD, homeowners throughout the area are thinking about how well their ACs will work this season. If you never had that strange sound looked at from the end of last summer, or if you’re concerned that it needs professional attention, now is the time to get in touch with your local AC professional. When problems are neglected, they tend only to worsen. In this post, we’d like to examine a few common Frederick, MD air conditioning repair problems, so that you can recognize the need for pro assistance when you see them. Call Larry & Sons today!
- Not enough cooling: This is a common symptom that has numerous possible causes. There’s no quite telling what the root cause of it is without professional inspection. One common cause is an airflow issue, often caused by a clogged air filter. Remember to make sure your air filter is clean of debris about once a month during the cooling season. While it is intended to prevent the accumulation of dust and debris on your system components, when it gets clogged or becomes dirty, it can actually impede airflow and block the cool air that you need to stay comfortable.
- Dirty coils: When your condenser coils get dirty, which can happen frequently because they are housed in the outdoor unit, it won’t be able to dissipate heat into the outside air. If this process is disrupted, the cycle will not be as efficient, and it may result in warmer air coming out of your ducts. A technician can ensure that all aspects of your AC are clean so that you can avoid any further disruptions.
- Low refrigerant: When it was installed, your AC was “charged” with a set amount of refrigerant. Over time, however, you may have developed a leak in one of the coils, or the lineset that has resulted in low levels of refrigerant circulating through your system. This causes a wide variety of problems, including inadequate cooling and a lack of dehumidification.
Make sure you’re ready to go this summer. Call Larry & Sons for comprehensive Frederick, MD air conditioning repair services if you’re concerned about your AC.
May 6th, 2013
Leaks, clogs, blockages, smells, burst pipes, and water damage are all potential issues for your plumbing system. Unfortunately, we often take our plumbing for granted, and that means we only notice it when problems arise that we are forced to deal with. But many plumbing problems can be avoided with by changing our habits ever so slightly. In this post, we’d like to focus on several things you can do to prevent clogged drains. When you need a Chambersburg, PA plumber to come take a look at your plumbing issue, call Larry & Sons!
- Avoid putting grease and other substances down your drains: Grease, as well as animal fats and oils, is a notorious drain clogging substance. While it may look shiny and liquid when it’s hot in the pan, as soon as it reaches your cool pipes, it will quickly turn into a sticky, gel-like wad that sticks to the interior surface of your piping. This attracts other bits of food and debris and fairly soon you may have a blockage deep within your drainpipes. By avoiding putting such materials down your drain entirely, you can avoid many problems with your drains, including clogs.
- Schedule drain inspection and cleaning: If you’ve never had your drains cleaned, then you might like to prevent clogged drains by scheduling a video camera inspection and cleaning service. It’s a great pre-emptive maneuver that will also increase the longevity of your plumbing and allow a pro to address any other problems that may have arisen during the course of its service life.
- Use hair and food stopper: Again, by controlling what goes down your drain, you can avoid many problems that arise as a result of accumulated debris. Two simple devices known as stoppers can help you prevent clogged drains in the kitchen and bathroom. Hair and scraps of food can begin to congeal into partial blockages fairly easy over time.
Make sure you take care of your plumbing system, and it will take care of you. When you need a Chambersburg, PA plumber, call Larry & Sons today!
April 29th, 2013
If you’ve ever peeked under your bathroom vanity or kitchen sink cabinet to see a funny looking bend in the pipe, and wondered what it’s doing there, you wouldn’t be the first. The P-shaped or U-shaped bend in the drainpipe is known as a “trap,” and it’s responsible for ensuring that your home doesn’t begin to stink. We’d like to use this post to explain to our customers about what a drain trap is and why it’s important to your home plumbing system. For more information, ask a Martinsburg, WV plumber—call Larry & Sons today for comprehensive plumbing services, including drain repair.
Unlike your water supply system, which operates by being pressurized, your wastewater disposal system works by means of gravity. So, you may ask, why doesn’t my second-floor bathroom drainpipe go straight down into my basement? If you can imagine a straight pipe connecting straight in your sewer line, it seems as though it might be more efficient than having the drain trap. But what goes down can also come up. That includes smells. Indeed, the principle purpose behind the development of the drain trap is to prevent the smell of septic tank and sewage from entering our homes.
A drain trap works by creating a water seal. The vertical dip allows a small amount of water to fill this space. This seals the drain from sewer gases and fumes. But because it’s water, it does not block the flow of the drainpipe. It’s an ingenious bit of engineering invented in the 18th century, and has saved our modern noses since. Unfortunately, there are some things that may disrupt its effectiveness. For some drains that are not used very often, basement drains for example, the water seal can periodically dry out. If the seal is partially or totally lost, it can cause bad smells to enter your home.
If your drains smell funky, you might have more to worry about than just a broken water seal in the drain trap. Call Larry & Sons to speak to an excellent Martinsburg, WV plumber today!